Monday, July 11, 2016

Underwater shoot with Courtney

A lot of my models are actually people I know pretty well.  Courtney grew up living in a home on the same lake, where I live now.  She was a great model and very patient with my crazy requests for poses, while trying to keep the material from floating up above her head and holding her breath at the same time.  I also took this opportunity to have my first training session with my 8 year old grand daughter as my assistant.  She actually did great and was a natural at taking photos, even getting on the diving board to get a good angle.  She took photos above the water only though at this age.  


I think here, I was explaining to Courtney how to keep the material held in her arms.


Just one of many shots that I will be able to use for paintings this winter.
Thanks to Phil & Mary Morris for letting me use their pool for photos.

People often ask me about these paintings.  At first I thought it was an original idea but after doing my first one I was contacted by artists that are doing the same thing.  As a child I loved the local pool and spent many hours swimming and diving underwater.  I remember diving down at the deep end of the pool one day for a man who had dropped his wedding ring by mistake.  I was like a fish.  It was such a nice surprise when I got out of the pool to discover the man had paid for me to have refreshments at the shop, something I didn't usually have as a child.  I also remember "Winnie" the pool attendant had to come and get me on most occasions as I would ignore my number being called to get out of the pool.  She would shake her finger at me.  I don't think I was necessarily looking for a place to escape at that young age but it was and is an escape none the less.  It's like being in another world.  As a designer, you are also letting the water dictate the motion of the fabric, so you are out of control and letting the forces of nature do their thing.  Other Artists that I have seen do this usually paint the person to look like they are underwater.  I like to take photos of the person above the water so I can match skin tones and make her look more lifelike.  The finished result will be a painting that unless you know the process, might have you wondering how it was created.  The model seems to be floating in the air.




No comments:

Post a Comment