Saturday, August 20, 2016

Grandmother's China!

So, I finally finished the painting "Grandmother's China" of my grand daughter Marion to go with the painting I did of my grand daughter Alice, called "Grandmother's Wedding Dress!  I painted this painting as a tribute to my Mum & Gran, both Marions.  A little artist intuition here as to be honest I set up the painting in about 20 minutes.  My grand daughter was about to leave, and the photos I first took were hurried but I liked it, so went with it.  She later sat for me on two different occasions, so I could paint from life and check the painting.  It started off by being a portrait about the Mississippi South, front porch swing, quilt, lovely dress, honey suckle because at the time it was in full bloom and the smell was everywhere.  I wasn't sure why I liked the quilt but after hanging it, I see that it reminded me of the colors in a set of china that I have that my Gran painted.  I had included a cup and saucer of tea in the portrait just for fun.  I included it because I thought it would be fun to actually paint something my Gran had painted. Both my Mum and Gran painted china.  It's funny how things just came together in this.  I must be honest I thought about my Gran a lot as I painted it.  It was tedious in parts and I know many art critics will say that the quilt makes it too busy but it was something I wanted to do.  It was more like a meditation for me.  I don't often paint flowers, so it was a bit of a tribute to her.  I thought how tedious it must have been for her to do a whole set of china, all matching plates, cups and saucers, making sure it all matched with the gold trim.  The table in the painting was built by Mike's great great Grandfather, William Zock.  He was pretty well known in Natchez for building elaborate bird houses.  I love including special meanings in my paintings.  Not only do I tell my clients that the clothing should be a work of art but also to wear a special necklace that has been in the family or hold an item, or even sit in a favorite spot.  I also felt very blessed as I painted this painting because the other coincidence was that Marion is the age I was when my Gran died.  How fortunate I feel to have spent so much time with wee Marion, watching her grow up. My own Mother was 4310 miles away in Scotland when my children were growing up in Mississippi.  I wasn't able to receive art lessons from my Gran.  I do remember the smells coming from her art room (mostly turps) and receiving special pencils in my "Lucky Bag" as we would leave to go home in the car that she would give us.  (If you don't know what a lucky bag is, it was usually a bag you purchased not knowing the contents but my Gran would put one together for us kids).  We didn't live in the same town, so I didn't see her as often as I now wished I had.  I'd like to think I can look forward to sitting down with her in Heaven for a cup of tea and a hot potato scone, just off the griddle and have a good talk.  (No doubt that her scones will be in Heaven)  Yes, this painting is full of meaning for me.  The dress also is one by Dollcake Vintage out of Melbourne Australia!  I highly recommend their clothing for portraits!



Here is the last photo of me and my Gran also with my Mum and Grandpa.  
Gran had cancer and died way too young.  I'm not sure about the mustard trousers.  ha!


Cups and saucers painted by my Gran!



Another sitting!  Almost done!



No comments:

Post a Comment