Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Master Copy

 


You learn a lot when you do Master Copies.  The painting of "Girl with a Hand mirror" was on display at the Art Museum of South Texas.  (about 7 miles from our home).  So I thought I'd do another Master Copy.  It is by William McGregor Paxton 1869-1941, and American Artist.  The flesh tones were very interesting and the use of Viridian Green a color which I'm not used to using was evident.  Made me think of Adrienne Stein's work.  For some reason I'm not able to post the video of me painting it but if you go to my Instagram or Facebook you can watch it there if you are interested.


I was chuffed when the Art Museum of South Texas reposted my video.  I am very fortunate that the people of Corpus Christi are so welcoming and appreciative of Art.  It seems to be a very creative city.  Moving right before COVID has been strange, not knowing anyone except for brief waves and chats from neighbors from a distance.  Isolation has been harder than some but I'm amazed at all the friends I have made online.


It's only after I have finished these two painting Studies that it dawned on me what I think is a family resemblance to the paintings.  I see myself in the painting of the girl.  The photo is of me when I was 17.  The painting of Nicola D'Inverno by Sargent reminded me of my husband's Great Grandfather who was alive during the same era.   (1845-1905)

No comments:

Post a Comment